Welcome back for our second part in the series “Meet DCG”. Each month, we will present one of our employees for you to meet so you can get to know the faces behind the computers here at Dynamic Consultants Group.
Our Chief Financial Officer, Kevan Brewer, is under the spotlight this month. Kevan enjoys golfing, reading, playing saxophone and piano, and traveling. He works to keep our company where it needs to be financially… including making sure we aren’t spending too much money on coffee (which could be debatable).
Guide us through your career journey: How did you end up here?
- After a college career in both Computer Science and Accounting I ended up at a local bank and spent 17 years in Finance and IT, supporting HR, Payroll, and the General Ledger applications. After, I became an IT and Fraud Auditor and developed programs to detect and prevent employee fraud. When I left the bank, I took my Fraud Detection and Auditing skills to a local telecom company and helped develop protection programs for them. Wanting to further my career, even more, I connected with Dustin and began the start of a career in Microsoft Dynamics supporting our great customers! Now, this is what I hope to do the remainder of my career because I enjoy the foundation of this company and the people that have helped make it that way.
What influenced your decision to become part of DCG?
- The biggest influence in my decision was that I wanted to get back into IT development and add to my skill set. When the opportunity came to connect with Dustin and start a company working with Microsoft Dynamics, I jumped at the chance! I knew Dynamic Consultants Group was going offer a great opportunity to provide our customer’s systems and processes to meet their business needs. I have not regretted my decision to become a part of this brand.
What is your favorite Microsoft product that we offer and why?
- Currently, my favorite Dynamics 365 Applications are Sales and Marketing. This allows a company to develop and implement processes to get new customers. Which then leads to opening the door for our customers to use the other Dynamics 365 applications to keep their customers. It is a fun process to be involved in.
What lessons have you learned from working at DCG?
- I have learned that you can accomplish your career goals if you have a desire to learn and the initiative to improve. The work is hard at times, but the rewards are sweet!
What advice would you give to our readers if they are unsure about switching to Microsoft Dynamics 365?
- The advice I would give is telling them to go online, look at some demos and try a 30-day trial for yourself. I think it is most important to do so first because then you can see the easy to use interface and experience the power of this application in your business. Finally, reach out to us and we can help you take your business to the next level.
If you were a Microsoft Office product, what would it be and why?
- I would be Microsoft Excel because that is my desire in life!
What are 5 things you want to accomplish in 2019?
- I want to add to my knowledge of the newer Dynamics 365 applications
- I want to attend some of the many conferences and meet other customers and partners who work with Dynamics 365.
- As CFO of Dynamic Consultants Group, I want to closely manage our company to be sure we are in the best position financially in the coming year.
- I look forward to helping hire many new employees as our company continues to grow.
- And last, but certainly not least, I look forward to some exciting trips and time spent with my family.
What is your most used emoji?
What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
- The best piece of advice I have been given was by an old minister. They said, “Plan your life like you were going to live for 100 years but have the character and integrity like today was your last day to live.” I feel like everyone could relate to this advice and it can really make a difference when putting life into perspective.
When you die, what do you want to be remembered for?
- I would like to be remembered for always being willing to help and teach others, in every aspect of my life.
What technology innovation made the most impact on your life?
- The piece of technology that made the most impact is the mobile phone. It always allows me to have my personal and work-life with me. Of course, that is a blessing and a curse at times, but it makes it easier to communicate in all aspects.
What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever done?
- I would say the weirdest thing I have ever done would be as a kid. I used to spend hours throwing my baseball against the side of the garage and riding my bike in circles around our house! I actually had an odometer on my bike, and I had logged over 300 miles when I finally outgrew it!
What would you most regret not having done by the end of your life?
- I would regret most that I didn’t travel more to other countries to see more of the world.
What is your most interesting/embarrassing office story?
- My most embarrassing action at work was when I was a young developer, I accidentally started a process that went into an infinite loop and brought down all the bank’s ATM’s! Thankfully this was discovered quickly, and no customers were impacted.
How do you wind down after work?
- After work, I like to come home and read, especially after a tough day.
What job would you be terrible at?
- A job I would be terrible at is any job that involved blood!
If you were a crayon, what color would you be?
- If I was a crayon, my color would be Macaroni and Cheese!
If you could swap places with anyone, living or dead, who would it be and why?
- It would be great to swap places with Bill Gates, to experience the challenges of creating the Microsoft world, Also, being able to enjoy the results of his labor now and give back to the world.
What about life fascinates you the most?
- I am fascinated by the ability we have as individuals to bounce back from defeats and setbacks in life, to have the inner strength to rebound and become a success.
If you could move anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
- I love the mountains, so I would have to say, Colorado.
If you could eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- If I could eat one thing for the rest of my life, it would have to be Tacos.
If you were a brand, what would be your motto?
- “Be the Best Me that I can Be!”
What’s a secret talent that no one knows about you?
- Well, I can’t tell because then it wouldn’t be a secret! 😜
Choose a book/movie title for the story of your life.
- It should be one with a strong superhero of course! But I did an online questionnaire and it came back that my movie was “Little Women,” so go figure!
If you won a million dollars, how would you spend it?
- If I won a million dollars, the responsible thing would be to pay off bills and invest for retirement. Well, I may do some of that, but a fancy new car and a long vacation would be at the top of the list!
We hope you’re enjoying this series so far and getting to know the people behind the screens here at Dynamic Consultants Group. See you next month on our third installment of MEET DCG!