No other CRM system on the planet has the scope, scalability, and speed of Microsoft Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement CE. But, like any software, you’ll want to make changes or ‘tinker’ with the system for better performance, productivity, and profitability. Using Customer Engagement CE straight out the box is great, but implementing the platform in a way that suits your team optimizes customer engagement even further. As a result, you benefit from:
- Better customer segmentation
- Improved customer retention
- Advanced data security and compliance outcomes
- Enhanced knowledge of your customers
- Much deeper engagement
Depending on who you talk to, executing all the above either means you’ll “configure” or “customize” Customer Engagement CE. Dynamics 365 customers often use these two terms interchangeably, as if they mean the same thing, but that’s not the case at all. Thankfully, you can configure and customize Customer Engagement CE just how you like it. Just know that configuration and customization involve very different processes. This blog post clears up the confusion.
- What is Microsoft Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement CRM?
- How Will Your Business Benefit From Customer Engagement CE?
- Why is Customization/Configuration Important in a CRM?
- Dynamics 365 CE CRM Customization v. Configuration
- Should You Choose Customization or Configuration?
- Why You Need a Microsoft Dynamics 365 Partner
- Dynamics 365 CE CRM Customization versus Configuration: Final Word
What is Microsoft Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement CRM?
Microsoft Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement CE is a cloud-based customer relationship management (CRM) system that lets you engage with your business’ most prized asset: Customers. It’s just one of the many interconnected SaaS applications that make up Microsoft Dynamics 365, an entire portfolio of business tools that revolutionize sales, marketing, field service, customer service, and more.
How will your business benefit from customer engagment CE?
Customer Engagement CE lets you:
- Track and manage interactions with existing customers and potential customers at ‘touchpoints.’
- Optimize customer-orientated workflows for improved sales, marketing, profitability, and, of course, engagement.
- Anticipate customer needs so you can improve relationships and move customers through your sales and marketing funnels.
All CRMs do some or all of the above, but Customer Engagement CE differs from other platforms because it syncs with Microsoft’s impressive ecosystem of products. Think Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, and Word. You can integrate data from these tools with your CRM for unparalleled intelligence into customer relationships.
Customer Engagement CE (and Dynamics 365 as a whole) also offers security, scalability, and cost-saving benefits you won’t get from other platforms.
Recommended reading: Wave 2 in Review: What’s New in Dynamics 365?
Why is Customization/Configuration Important in a CRM?
No two businesses are the same, so why should CRM be? When you implement software the way you like, you get more value from the platform. The same principle applies to Customer Engagement CE. By implementing changes to the system, whether small or big, you can make your business more successful. It’s that simple.
Here are some reasons to customize/configure Customer Engagement CE:
- Enhance the platform’s capabilities.
- Change features.
- Optimize the software’s processes.
- Make Customer Engagement CE work better for you and your team.
Dynamics 365 CE CRM Customization vs. Configuration
This is where things get slightly more complicated. Implementing CRM software like Customer Engagement CE typically involves one of two processes:
People often refer to these two terms as if they mean the same thing, but they have completely different meanings.
- Configuration involves making small changes to the system to fulfill day-to-day tasks. Example: Changing the names of data fields so you can find information quicker.
- Customization involves making bigger changes to the system to fulfill a greater business purpose. Example: Changing the way the system moves data to the cloud.
As you can see, customization requires more resources and involves more processes than configuration. It demands time, skills, and often lots of code. Sometimes, it changes how the entire system behaves. That’s why experienced software developers solely take care of the customization.
For clarity, here are some common configurations you might make on Customer Engagement CE:
- Field changes
- Database changes
- Security settings
- Reporting and notification changes
Now here are some customizations:
- Custom application building
- Server-side changes
- Add-on functionality
- Major cloud changes
Dynamic Consultants Group can make ongoing customizations and configurations to Customer Engagement CE so you can tailor the platform the way you like without the headache. Learn more.
Should You Choose Customization or Configuration?
It depends. As mentioned in the introduction, no other CRM offers the scope or scalability of Customer Engagement CE, so many users benefit from the out-of-the-box functionality of this system just fine and make configurations as they go.
Example: A Customer Engagement CE user needs to achieve a particular task and make small changes to the platform. These changes don’t require complicated code. In this scenario, the configuration is all that’s needed.
However, some users require far bigger changes and need to customize the system.
Example: A user needs to change the way Customer Engagement CE operates and behaves, and these changes involve far more than just a few clicks of a mouse. In this scenario, customization is the only method, and it’s here where users need the help of a Dynamics 365 partner.
Why You Need a Microsoft Dynamics 365 Partner
A good Microsoft Dynamics 365 partner makes configurations and customizations to Customer Engagement CE (and Dynamics 365), so you can concentrate on far more important tasks in your business. Whether you want to make database changes or major server-side changes, working with a reputable partner provides you with the experience and support you require.
Dynamics 365 CE CRM Customization versus Configuration: Final Word
Customization and configuration are very different terms that define how you change Microsoft Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement CE. Whether you need to customize, configure, or combine the two, always call on a professional.
Dynamic Consultants Group is the No.1 Customer Engagement CE partner for data-driven enterprises like yours. Schedule a Teams Meeting and learn how to get more value from your system!
Allie is the Microsoft Dynamics 365 Web Artist at Dynamic Consultants Group. She graduated from Northwest Missouri State University in May 2020 with a Digital Media degree. When she is not busy creating content for the website, she appreciates reading a good book or enjoys activities outdoors.